Hive report: an interim update

brood box of hiveThe bees have been getting attention–I’ve just not had time to tend bees and to write given work and travel.

I thoroughly enjoyed my almost-a-week stay in Portland ME.  I wish I could have brought the weather back with me, or figured out a way to get the bees and Frankie (the cat) to Maine. Since neither was feasible, I’m back home, tending the bees.

On 11 June 2017, I installed a nuc (small colony with laying queen) in my second hive. These are truly local honey bees–from an established beekeeper right here in town. It looks as if they have taken well to their new home. The “package” bees that I installed in the other hive on 14 April 2017 (from Georgia) seem to be doing well, too.

On 24 June 2017, I add a “super” to each hive–expecting it to be brood and honey. With a very quick look under the inner cover while I was putting my bucket feeders on this morning, I saw that there were bees working on all the frames on the super. This means that I need to plan a serious look into the hive when the weather is suitable in the next week to see if I need to add another super.