Admittedly we need a stove in the kitchen, but we also need the refrigerator–and it’s probably the appliance that we misuse most often. When I stop and think about the times that I’ve had to clean out the refrigerator because something got “lost” back there and made its presence known in a rather aromatic way, I know I need to work on this problem–yes, I’m writing this because I have to clean out the fridge again. . . .
We don’t usually stop to think about the micro-environments inside. I know that I often just open the door and plop something in without much thought to where it would keep best.
Just recently I found a series of articles on the kitchn on using and maintaining the refrigerator for best performance. I thought I’d share these–I know that I do misuse mine–and I suspect (hope) I’m not alone.
- The Best Way to Organize Your Refrigerator
- Put a Separate Bin in Your Refrigerator for Meat
- 5 Tips to Make Your Refrigerator More Efficient
- What to Store in your Refrigerator Humidity Drawers. This includes lists of high- and low-humidity requiring fruits and vegetables.
- How to Clean the Refrigerator
Of course, then there is the freezer which can be wonderful, or a trap cooking intentions. Again, I’m facing the necessity of cleaning out the freezer after the recent kitchen disaster which was directly attributable to me just opening the freezer door and chucking stuff in–I think I need to stop and think about why I’m putting something in the freezer, and make a huge effort at organization.
- The Best Way to Organize the Freezer
- How to Clean the Freezer
- The Do-Not-Freeze-These-Foods List
- Choosing The Right Freezer Containers lists types of containers suitable for freezing, and suggestions about what should go in the types of containers and how to package it.
- What Is Freezer Burn and How to Prevent It.
- Label and Date Everything in the Freezer
- Label Containers with Dry Erase Crayon
This is a list of main articles–within each, there are links to other useful tips for managing the cold spots in the kitchen. Now, off to the kitchen to attack the fridge!
Yup, I’ve been there! Looks like a handy collection of links covering every aspect of refrigerator/freezer use. Thanks!
It’s really something that we don’t really think about often enough. So easy just to open door and set of first available space.
LikeLiked by 1 person